Main Forum
You don't have access to join chat channel.
Page
of 3

"Secret Missions" ; a mod allowing lots of ingame Player-made quests

26 replies
Votes:
+3
Veteran
I am starting this new thread, as it follows another about Roleplaying tools (that you may check here ).

Seeing that it wasn't already done after so many months, I made a mod to allow and support ingame player-made investigation missions.
It reacts to your movements and positions ingame, it provides text, quest steps, sounds with updates, and custom voice-overs!
I made a sample quest to demonstrate some of these features.

The making of the sample quest required only a few minutes for normal steps, and of course some more to do my own voice-overs ;)
But overall, it's quick to make a quest to be used with the tool.

The four next things requiring some work are :
- some technical adaptations to the tool ; addressing small bugs, performance drop, bringing small upgrades,
- a lot more features that could be provided ; like more support for group missions (although we did this one as a group, and it worked out really well!) ; an ingame roleplaying character sheet, that you may customize with points (upgrading social skills to receive more intel from witnesses, or other fields...), and that could be checked during a mission ; like more types of graphical hints for quest creators ; and a lot more!
- a focus on quest creation, to provide quests and content in biweekly periods, or weekly periods,
- and a lot (a lot !!) of TSW API exploring and coding, and trial and error, to get it going and better.

Of course there were already a number of technical problems to address.
But since the technical base is now working, it is now a matter of concentrating a lot more work hours into it to make it even better.

For those wanting to try it, I'll put here the download links, versions and download instructions, while waiting for me to setup a project website.
Quote:

"Secret Missions Mod" and download links:

Download latest version (0.10)

This version is provided with the "Old Man's Request" demonstration quest. This quest can be led by Templar characters, and also has a small SCI flavor.
This version is also updated with the "Case Velvet Stone" demonstration quest (full version!), for Templars starting it in London, and a number of additionnal features.
Other cross-faction demonstration quests will follow!

Quote:

Install and Uninstall instructions :

Just extract the ZIP file to your game directory. It is a simple mod file that will deploy itself to your mod directory.
The mod isn't loaded by default ; to load it, once the game is launched, type :

/loadclip SecretMissions.swf

The Secret Mission tool will then check your missions and updates them.

Shall you encounter any problem or want to reset the quest, or to unload the mod, type :

/unloadclip SecretMissions.swf

Localized versions:
Localized TSW versions (like mine, which is localized in french) sometimes have translated chat commands.
I must type /chargerclip instead of loadclip, and /déchargerclip instead of unloadclip, myself.
To find your available commands, press the / key and then TAB.

The Secret Locator is a tool that may be used to send me the Map Location IDs.
It can be started with /loadclip SecretLocator.swf and unloaded with /unloadclip SecretLocator.swf.

picture_demo1_new.jpg

picture_demo2.jpg

picture_demo3.jpg

Click here to download an example of the quest voice-overs :

audioButton.png

============================================================

Elysa_k_t_a1_bg4_br5.png
Posted May 24, 13 · OP · Last edited Jun 24, 13
Votes:
+3
Veteran
So the hardest has been done, but the next steps are different: a lot more work hours for more features and quests! :d

There are countless possibilities and we deserve the best, and not before one year or so has passed...
I am considering kickstarting the project, with a very small requirement, so as to allow as many features as possible as stretch goals.
This way, this would make new awesome features available for our TSW game !!!!

Regarding kickstarter, I am in the process of having my own US-based company and bank account.
These steps will be completed soon, and are important to me for a lot of other steps and projects.
But one problem remain: I am no US resident... ! one is required to create the first project sheet and then as administrative contact.
Elysa_k_t_a1_bg4_br5.png
Posted May 24, 13 · OP · Last edited May 24, 13
Votes:
+3
Veteran

=======================================================================

Atrus said :
Elysa, do you think it's possible to load the in-game browser inside one of those pop-up windows you make? I'm still thinking about how Acenth can have pictures and formatting in the TSW-RP character sheets.

Yes, it shall be possible to open the browser right away and automatically! :)
I just need more hours of API testing.

As for the TSW-RP formatting, it's done serverside (from what I see), so nothing required in the mod for it.
We can note that TSW-RP doesn't retrieve any content as well, or interact ingame with the info provided.

It's logical - one thing I know is that I can't recover content from the browser - TSW forbids it - I can just open it.
I believe this is what prevented modders from having an investigation mod thus far, as they were blocked at this step.
There still are ways for me to recover browser content and to have more interaction, but with other external tools I would make.

Right now I preferred to go all into native TSW modding and no external tool required.
I think it's better for the first step, and for people to be sure it's just a safe mode with very safe commands.

====================================================================
Quote:
Next update:

Scheduled with:
Auto-opening of browser for the custom audio.

Enjoy the links meanwhile, and thank you for your support.
And sorry for three-posting (one for full links and instructions, one for kickstarter question, one for next updates... ).
I am looking for your feedback!
Elysa_k_t_a1_bg4_br5.png
Votes:
+62
Ally
If using Kickstarter is a problem due to the US restrictions, you can always try Indiegogo. It uses PayPal instead of Amazon Payments, so it's a little less flexible, but it works.

Here's my list of suggestions/blue sky/possible stretch goals, in no particular order and no idea if they're at all feasible:

- Use HTML/images/sound directly in the mission updates
- Check if we killed a number X of generic mobs, or a unique/named monster
- Check if we used a particular chat option with an NPC
Spoiler: Show
- Check if we have an object in the inventory
- Check if we buy an object (even if we already have it)
- Check if we use/consume an object, like a drink
- Check if we use an emote, or say a specific word in a specific place
- Check if we used an in-world permanent object (sat on a chair, used the phonebook in Kingsmouth, etc.)
- Activate mission items otherwise unavailable (Said's hat, a laptop, a basement entrance...) and hijack them for our mission
- See if we can use the GHOST interface to simulate a computer/laptop; advance mission if we insert the right password, check the right option etc.
- Support for Topbar Information Overload
- Mission picker
- An (optional) way to send a message to the mission creator the first time you complete the mission (so he can send rewards, or just to send feedback)
- Missions stored online, to be either accessed completely online or downloaded on use (so you don't need to update the mod to get new missions, or the updated version of a mission)
- Encrypted mission files, if offline (no peeking!)
[the following are probably expensive stretch goals]
- A GUI Mission creator
- Mission recorder: you walk around and do the mission, 'marking' the steps as you go

I'll update if I think of some more... :p
Ian 'Atrus' Pertwee - @ianpertwee - Wiki
Scarlet and Cross Institute
"We are the kolbitar, the coal-eaters; we sit by the fire in winter and tell stories of a younger world."
Posted May 24, 13
Votes:
+3
Veteran
Very interesting suggestions here!
I checked some of these previously, but you provided more interesting targets!

As for indiegogo, that "could" work but has from 20x to 100x less community than KS.
So I am still afraid it could end with 20x less features, and more duration.

About the current suggestions, here is my first technical reply ! :)

EDIT :

And I am adding :

18. Create our roleplaying attributes and check them during the quest, to provide more options, completion, information or hints.
19. Quest branching : make choices and actions during quests, leading to new endings or possibilities.

Elysa_k_t_a1_bg4_br5.png
Votes:
+62
Ally
Just thought of another one, which could be seen as a sub-set of branching: several goals in the same mission step. Like: you have to find three witnesses before you go on, but you don't have to find them in a specific order. Or the TSW classic, "kill 3 of mob A and 5 of mob B".

edit: thought on sounds and images and other stuff: do the limitations for remote files apply to local files as well? Since TSW can read SWF files, in theory you could encapsulate sound and images in there, and display them at the appropriate mission step. Or are there technical limitations for that too?
Ian 'Atrus' Pertwee - @ianpertwee - Wiki
Scarlet and Cross Institute
"We are the kolbitar, the coal-eaters; we sit by the fire in winter and tell stories of a younger world."
Posted May 24, 13 · Last edited May 24, 13
Votes:
+6
I just wanted to say.... This is brilliant!
Posted May 24, 13
Votes:
+3
Veteran
Thanks Kotts and Atrus!

Mod was updated today with :
Quote:

0.03 update (24/05/2013):

- We longer need the chat input! :) Atrus and Sunblessed will know what I am talking about.
- Mod is now again fully compatible with all versions of TSW (including localized ones).
- Action buttons are now revealed on quest steps! You may see that on updated version of the first screenshot, above.
- Pressing the action buttons accesses the hint details if any, or the custom audio.

That's actually a major update as it removes the last problems observed in the demonstration quest.
Unfortunately, I don't have the skills of a Flash animator, or I would make a lot of interesting anims to improve the current experience.

Next steps will be multiple actions and customized character sheet.
Could need some time...
Elysa_k_t_a1_bg4_br5.png
Votes:
+38
This is just for clarification - is the mod available to download only for interacting with already created missions? I didn't see any sort of interface or control to create my own mission. Given how much trouble I had just getting to the point at which I could activate the mod (all my fault) it's entirely possible I missed something, so I thought I would ask to make sure.

Other than that... do you have any control over the placement/size of the browser, for when it has to open for things like the sound files? The browser takes up a big block of my screen and for non-graphical stuff it seems like it would make sense to just be condensed into a smaller area.
Posted May 27, 13
Votes:
+3
Veteran
Quote:
This is just for clarification - is the mod available to download only for interacting with already created missions?

The demo is available with its loaded quest file, and doesn't propose an interface "yet" to create missions.
The full version with more developed features will actually propose a full browser GUI to do that.
Quote:
Other than that... do you have any control over the placement/size of the browser, for when it has to open for things like the sound files?

Request noted! It makes some sense.
It should be possible to have it with a lower size (and I want also, without the URL location bar, as it is unnecessary).
I will proceed from type of file (sound file = small size ; other file = large size).

A small size will allow you to wander around while listening to the audio.
Elysa_k_t_a1_bg4_br5.png
Posted May 27, 13 · OP
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices